Monday, February 2, 2009

Ballin'

I really dig coaching basketball. Tonight, and tomorrow night, and the night after that we have games. If we lose any of them, we are out of the playoffs.

Understanding sports is tough - it's such a passionate cultural phenomenon, and thus has plenty of potential to be used for Gods glory, but an equal amount of potential to be abused. If you think about it, basketball is just two groups of guys each trying to throw a ball through a hoop more times than the other group can throw the ball through the hoop. And that's fun. That's a game. But as soon as you decide that you want to get the ball through the hoop more than other teams on a consistent basis, against very good competition, basketball becomes a whole lot more than that. I don't know if that is what makes it a sport or not. Maybe someday I'll understand. In the interim, I'll coach as best as I know how.

People say that it's not about whether you win or lose, it's about having fun. Well, I have more fun when I win.

3 comments:

Carol-Lee Joy said...

Go, team go!!


Even though you'll have more fun if you win, I hope you have fun through the whole process, and despite the outcome as well.

Go Ben!

Anonymous said...

Ben, I think it is neat how you think about sports. It makes me feel pretty ashamed/dumb for thinking in my head (and out loud sometimes) that sports are kinda lame. I really just think that because I don't understand it, a.k.a. I am really bad at sports. But I think it is neat, even if I don't get it. I'm trying to say something nice here and I'm not sure if it's working. In other news, I just remembered I haven't fixed your pants yet, and you very well may be in a dire pants situation. I apologize.

Ben said...

dang, pants eh? I've almost forgotten about those. And thanks for the compliment, I'm pretty sure I understood it!
Peace + Love