Thursday, March 1, 2007

faith

Today I was shovelling snow, which usually cause me to think. so I thought about a heated conversation I had with a girl at school about homosexuality. We were talking about how my faith is different from the catholic faith, and she asked me what I thought about homosexuality. Here's an approximation of the rest of the conversation.
"I believe that homosexuality is a sin, and if gay people refuse to realize that their lifestyle is not pleasing to God and turn to Christ for forgiveness, they can't go to heaven."
"You can't be f---ing serious. You're a f---ing joke. didn't Jesus tell us to love each other?"
"Yes, but God created us a certain way. to rebel against that is to sin."
"It's not a sin, because they're f---ing born that way. You know what? f--- it."
"They weren't born that way. Here, read Leviticus 18:22."
reads "Yeah, but my friends who are gay say that they can't choose, and doctors say so too."
"Well, this is what I believe."
"You'd rather believe that it's a sin? (sarcastically)That must take a lot of faith."
"Yeah."


But today, while shovelling snow, I realized that it takes just as much faith for me to belive that homosexuality is a sin as for Amanda to believe that gay people are born gay. She, being a woman and a heterosexual, must take it on faith from what she's heard from her gay friends that their lifestyle is genetic. I, being a Christian, take my belief on faith from what the God who made everything says. I dunno about you, but I'd rather believe God.

P.S. Expletives make discussions about God ...interesting. You'd think that someone who wants to convince another person to their point of view would choose not to insult them. It's a good thing God gave me the ability to take verbal abuse.

6 comments:

Ryan said...

I say props to you for being able to defend your faith through scripture.
I don't understand the argument that people use about how Jesus taught us to love. Of course we have to love them, but that doesn't mean we blindly accept them no matter what! That doesn't make any sense. I accept and love gay people, but I do not accept their sin.

Ryan said...

I should have said "accept their lifestyle no matter what"

The wrong words can easily change meaning.

justine said...

and yet, the simple fact that gay people are born gay is a result of sin.

our genes are not immune to the effects of sin: down to the smallest molecule we are sinful through and through. so, to say that some people are born homosexual is true, but they also have a choice: they can recognize that they've been given this specific thorn to deal with...and they can spend their lives in it, doing things that are not glorifying to God, or they can dedicate their life to God and ask Him for help and grace and strength and courage and self-discipline and grace in dealing with this specific effect of sin in this world.

saying you're born gay and have no choice in your lifestyle is like saying your parents are alcoholics so you have no choice but to drink alcohol.

Carol-Lee Joy said...

As Ryan said, "props" to you for being able to defend your faith with Scripture refrences. I wish I was better at that. But then, I am not really confronted by many or get into conversations about things like that. Maybe I should. I have plenty of opportunity at the Ballet Studio where I work. Thanks for sharing this. It's inspired me.

Anonymous said...

thanks ben, this is an eye-opener,
you don't come across topics or conversations like this at guido, everyone just assumes that these things are the same for all of us at school. The worst thing to do is to try and have a discussion when everyone agrees on the same thing. We get no where. In a sense I wish i had someone to argue with, becasue it would make my faith and my inquistiveness for knowledge regarding faith that much stronger/greater. Thanks again Ben, you are really a role model even if you didn't know that yet, you do now.
Thanks for being so cool.

Anonymous said...

have fun in kentucky