Saturday, April 21, 2007

A Math Equation, Designed to Make You Understand the Self.

I wonder at my sense of self. I take it for granted that I exist. Being is a quality every human possesses. We would do well to act like it. Here is a neat question to make you think:

Statement #1 - I raise my arm.
Statement #2 - My arm goes up.

Subtract Statement #2 from statement #1. What is left over?


The answer is, very profoundly, "I".
Neat eh? I hope this makes you understand the idea of being. It helped me. Philosophy class, if useless in the real world, helps me to take my mind off things for a while. i think that's a little bit backwards.

4 comments:

Captain Carrot said...

lets start with two generally accepted equations

study = no fail
no study = fail

study - no study = fail - study
study - no study = fail - no fail
study (1 - no) = fail (1 - no)
study = fail
.`. dont even bother

Ben said...

ha! that's a great one!

Carol-Lee Joy said...

...that's too much for my brain to handle. me and math don't mix. but what I did get is pretty brilliant.

Tim said...

Hmmm, methinks it doesn't work.
You said:

study - no study = fail - study

But that's incorrect; it would have to be:

study - no study = study - fail

Then

study - no study = no fail - fail
(1 - no) study = (no - 1) fail

And I don't even know what that means. Too bad though.